Friday, August 22, 2008

Lost 10lbs in 2 weeks! The Dutch integration diet!!

Integration into mainstream Dutch society is good for your figure. That's basically the conclusion of research conducted by the Social and Cultural Planning Officethe Netherlands (SCP).


You can imagine my chagrin when I came across the results of a recent research completed by the SCP (Social and Cultural Planning Bureau) in the NL, when I learned yet another reason why it is important to integrate into Dutch society...I'll be obese if I don't! This recently published information from the SCP concerns the non-western immigrants to Holland (of course, because Holland is obsessed with this group of immigrants). They found that someone from this immigrant group in the NL is more likely to be overweight than the normal Dutch population. Those that are integrated, are less likely to be overweight. What a simple conclusion we arrive to! Instead of looking at the factors as to why this may be (different upbringing, different diet, different stress on health or body image)...its instantly related to the level of integration. This gives those hard-core right wing Dutchies the opportunity to slam immigrants again, that we are lazy, jobless and hopeless cases. But now that I am about to become jobless again...maybe I will better fit the data and support their findings. But I gotta say, I've integrated into society by being employed this past year...but the stress from actually working and trying to learn dutch 2 nights a week has driven me to eat more out of stress. I think this research made to find out just exactly what the gov't wanted to hear...to offer more propaganda as to why immigrants need to integrate.
What is also quite interesting is that M is going to start working for the SCP in a month, as a researcher. I hope he will only be bringing home "the bacon"...and not more propaganda.


1 comment:

snapshotradio said...

"Yeah, if you sit on your fat backside all day doing nothing and just saunter once a week to the market... Maybe you should pray less and get a job?"

that quote is a FAIL.
failblog.org

also pray less? geeze... we all need to pray more to keep this kind of mindset from being the norm.