Thursday, January 10, 2008

Winter scenes


Just as a comparison, within a weeks time, I've been on two continents, with two very different types of climates. The NL is much further north than Wisconsin, however due to the influence of the sea on the climate, it doesn't get really cold here or snow at all (not very often at least). The picture on the left was taken this past Sunday in de Bilt, just outside of Utrecht. The other was taken in Wisconsin on Dec 31st, after it snowed about 6" a few days earlier. Both are pretty, but only one is really "winter" to me.

4 comments:

Joe Santanello said...

Hi Christy and M,

I just found your blog on Expats.com. My wife and I (just married) are also in DC and coming to Utrecht for my work in De Bilt from Feb 5 - May 12. I have read some of your initial blog and haven't shown my wife yet because you have many cautionary tales! Anyway it would be great to know someone in the same boat...I am coming for work she is hoping to work part time (she is a hair stylist). Email me if you'd like to chat more!

Thanks,
Joe and Ana

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KellyB said...

You should see it now - we got 12" on Monday! I feel like I forgot what winter was really like for a while - we haven't had one this snowy in a while. So what are "seasons" like as a whole there? That's one thing I don't know if I could do without...

Christy said...

Mainly it rains a lot here-- there are temperature differences enough to have seasons, but it rarely gets below freezing in winter, and if it does, its not for long. They haven't been able to skate on the canals (for more than a day maybe) for over 11 or 12 years! it snows maybe once in the winter, but melts soon after (it usually isn't much, less than an inch or two). Summer is mild and usually rainy. I prefer the extremes of WI!! I definitely am missing all the snow I'm hearing about! I really am glad it snowed while I was home at Xmas! It was so nice to be outside at 8am on a Saturday and be one of the few outside enjoying the calm and stillness of the beautiful snow.