Sunday, July 15, 2007

New to my wallet: a library card

Last week I finally made a move to further 'integrating' in Dutch society...I got a library card.

The Utrecht public library isn't really confined in one library...there's the central library in the city center, but also at least 10 'branch' libraries in the different neighborhoods. I think this is kinda dumb, since its not like Utrecht is really all that spread out and each branch is not more than probably 5 miles or less to the next place. Well, I heard that at the Overvecht library there are several books or textbooks/CDs about learning Dutch. So finally I went, to try and do something about learning Dutch.

You have to pay to join the library in the Netherlands. Here in Utrecht its 16 euros per year, plus a 2.50euro joining fee. In addition to that, all books are 25 cents to borrow for a 3 week period. CDs are more, CD-roms, videos, and other things cost different prices. While I understand that maybe some money is needed to fund the system of buying books and paying employees....I think a joining fee prevents certain people from joining...and perhaps growing up not learning to read well or enjoying to read. I think it sort of pushes out a certain sector of society.

Anyways, the good news is that the Dutch for foreigners books and CD-roms are free to borrow! that's finally a smart move by them...it encourages people to learn the language without worrying about money and having to pay all the time to take out the books. and luckily since its the summer vacation, books can be borrowed for 6 weeks. That's good because I'll be gone for the next two and won't even have time to look at them.

So, hopefully I will make myself look at these books...and hopefully I will learn something from them.

I'm excited to go to Germany, I just hope that some of the language skills i once had come back...I get so mixed up with Dutch and German in my head...but I think recently more dutch is coming to my mind/mouth than German words. that is a good sign.

No comments: