Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Bright spots

As much as I joke about the "squatters", when telling others where I work, its all just that - joking. Yes, its true, the hostel was founded by squatters, and some of those founders still work there. But no one's a squatter any more. And there are others who weren't part of that movement. But the general feeling there is that of being alternative...alternative to my 'mainstream' lifestyle. And that's why I probably joke about it, because its different to me. But maybe I should try to see things more their way. There might be some good in that.

The last two weeks have been typical 'Dutch' weather. Cloudy, cool, rainy, sometimes heavy downpours, and often times its very windy. So when the sunshine comes out, it is always something special. Its like when the first flowers bloom in springtime, or perhaps what it is like in Alaska when the sun first shows after a long winter in the dark. Today was just another such day, rainy and cold, with periods of heavy misting rain. When I was in the basement cleaning the lockers since its slow and most guests were staying another night (meaning I don't have any beds to take off and new ones to put on), Well one of my co-workers came down to change the laundry around and said "oh, the sun is out! you must take a break and sit outside!" So I did. by the time I got out there though, it was cold and cloudy again. And eventually it started raining again...but it was such a hopeful and positive outlook on life, to value the important things, no matter how little they may seem.

After I left the hostel, I went to the center where the stores are along the gracht (the canal)...and after braving the crowds that are always in H&M, I was riding my bike back towards home, and I heard some man say in english to his woman companion, "I love this place, its so nice here." The sun was out, the brick sidewalk was still wet, the flower man was trying to sell his last sunflowers and tulips of the day...and I hear such a positive comment on appreciation of the beauty of this city. It made me feel special that I am apart of this beauty...in a way. On my bike, along the canal, I am apart of the living city. I may not be from here, I may not even speak the language or know any other Dutch people here, but I'm still apart of this living city. Its nice to hear comments like that, to see the city through the eyes of a newcomer to Utrecht.

Last night we had M's basketball team over for a end of the season BBQ. We have our electric BBQ out on the balcony, protected from the heavy rain showers. But inside we had 11 people, enjoying some great food that M and I prepared and some beer and wine and some music. It was really nice. I wouldn't mind having people over more often- in fact, its quite nice to have some social time in our own home. this was the first time we had a party here. And the first time this group of people have been here and seen our apartment. Its nice to have people over and show our place and our bunnies to everyone.

This picture was taken by M from our apartment balcony last week.

No comments: