Friday, July 13, 2007

Residence Permit update

Well, some news on the residence permit- not what I wanted to hear though. After getting back from the gym, I was riding home, wondering if something could possibly be in the mailbox waiting for me. And to my surprise, there was actually a letter from the Ministry of Justice- the Immigration Dept. It didn't look thick with information or anything, so I was already a bit apprehensive. I went from surprise to excitement to apprehension within 5 seconds.

I opened it and immediately knew it was not the letter I wanted to get. I couldn't understand it completely, but I knew they wanted something to be sent in within 2 weeks from the dated stamp, thus my application was not approved yet. DAMN IT!!

After scanning the letter and emailing it to M, what they are requesting and saying that we did not include in our application (we must have had over 40 -50 pages of information) was that we lived at the same address. So basically this delay is not even our fault. We included both official papers from the City hall (that cost 10 euros EACH) saying that we lived at this address in Utrecht (but on two separate papers, one for each). I registered with the city the day they accepted my application and sent it on to the Immigration. Its weird that they would accept it if I wasn't even a resident at a certain address with my partner in Utrecht.

So to clarify this and make sure it gets back on track again as soon as possible (esp since we're going on a trip for 2 weeks on Wednesday!), we had to do something today. So after a quick shower and hardly a lunch, I met M at city hall at 2. There were tons of people in there waiting. The only thing I can compare the city hall here to is the DMV in the USA. A ton of people waiting around for EVER. You take a number and wait. there are several desks open, but some areas are for different issues. Luckily we were in the line for the citizen service that didn't have a long wait! Within 20 minutes we were out, and 20euros poorer. We each requested a printed out official paper with a stamp on it saying that we are registered at this address, and two people are registered at this address.

Then off to the post office to send it by registered mail so that by Monday they'll get it. We'll call and check on Tuesday, as now my particular case has an actual case number and a person assigned to it. Hopefully this does not put my application back more than 2 days. But I bet if the city had done what they were supposed to, or the IND is just trying to challenge us, I would have the RIGHT letter today- saying I could go pick up the ID card anytime. I hope the REAL letter will be there waiting for me when we get back from Germany.

This is just like all those stupid rebate 'deals' in the US-- some many times you send a rebate in and they send you a letter back saying you didn't buy the object/good in the valid period or send the right UPC thing in or the original receipt wasn't circled...or some stupid arse reason...just to discourage you and steal your money that you should be rightfully getting back. You gotta keep fighting to prove that you're right. I hear horror stories that those rebate fights go on for years. I hope this is nothing like that, although the IND has been known to have several problems like that. Just last week a 4 year old boy finally received his residence permit after 4 years (he was born here)...but with a hang up because of his mom's status (they were illegal apparently), he was never rewarded it and the IND kept putting it off.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/04/europe/EU-GEN-Netherlands-Immigration.php

No comments: