Thursday, October 11, 2007

being a part of something (takes time)

I wanted to write about this past weekend. I've been keeping myself REALLLLLY busy, that's why I haven't been able to write til now! Language lessons, basketball, and basketball related duties are keeping me very busy. Last night I didn't get home til after 1130pm! And didn't get to bed til 1am! I have to let the rabbits out for a little while, or they won't have any time to stretch their legs and hop at any other time of the day! M is not here in Utrecht this week. He's far far away in a place called Friesland...in northern Holland. You know, for the Dutch, 2.5 hours away really is like the edge of the world! He's there helping his parents settle in to their new house. Oh, and his contract was renewed for one more year (or really, it is in writing this time since it really shouldn't have had to be 'renewed' in the first place). So his job is safe, and he will be able to still get his PhD in the end.

Last weekend was full of basketball, as I'm sure many more weekends to come will be as well. Saturday night I had to score-keep for the women's' 1 team. They have a very weird score keeping card/sheet here, it took awhile for me to understand it. Seriously, changing colors of the pen each quarter to keep the stats....very weird. there must be more efficient way of score keeping (there is...trust me...in the US of course).

Then on Sunday, i was again at the sport hall from 530-11. I watched my team play, then I had to keep score again for another game, then I watched M play in his game (he joined the club too). While it was busy, it felt nice to be involved in something, to be apart of something. Its a good way to see some sort of 'result' to just the practicing, as so far that's all I've mostly been involved with. I kinda felt like I was back in middle school again- when we had weekend tournaments and 20 schools would take part in the weekend tournament. Those were fun times. anyways, it felt nice to be apart of something again. (It also helped though that M was around to help me score keep the first game!! and that he was around for the afternoon too). Now, if only I could really be able to communicate better...

Oh, and I'm the 'smoelenboek commissie'...the 'address/picture book committee' for the club...I have to put together all the pictures, addresses, and they have to answer one question based on the theme of the book...we're putting it together and giving it out at the next Borrel ('drink/happy hour'). I'm working with one other woman on this. The theme is 'film'...and the question is 'which film star would you want to resemble and why?' Just an added fun element to the book. This is a good way for me to know people better- to study pictures and figure out who people are! :-)

No comments: