Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Good luck finding a seat...


What happens when the sun comes out from behind the clouds and the temperature rises above 50 degrees? All the Dutchies come out of the woodwork (buildings), and sit outside on terraces in front of all the cafes, drinking a beer or a coffee or perhaps a cola (light). The past two days have been very pleasant...yesterday it was probably even over 60 degrees...it felt like summer!
I actually had something to do...in the afternoon I helped my one and only friend here in Utrecht clean her old apartment because she and her Dutchie recently bought their very first home (...an apartment, as this is Holland after all!)...they moved last weekend, and are still working on fixing it up and unpacking. But yesterday we got together, cleaned for about 3 + hours, and seeing as it was so nice out, we went to the city center, in search of an open table at a cafe where we could get something to drink and eat. We rode by many places, there weren't even chairs available! Finally we found one place, we weren't in the sun, but we were outside. We both had a cola light and come tortilla chips with (fake) guacamole. Its fun to watch people walking by, their fashion choices and their actions....
But then I can't help but wonder, where did all these people come from!?! They aren't just students....doesn't anyone work around here? I'm sure a large majority of people skip out on work...but how can that be cool with their jobs? And its not just the lunch hour, its all afternoon these people sit outside - at the cafe, on benches, on the wharf along the Oude Gracht...

It reminds me of my younger days, when I was here for the first time in school...and everything was new and wonderful, and I didn't have many responsibilities, and I actually had a group of fellow international friends I could sit with. Now, I'm older, unemployed, have many responsibilities and perhaps a bit jaded....perhaps that is the best time to go lounge around at a cafe!!

No comments: