Thursday, March 29, 2007

Purple in morning light


Purple in morning light
Originally uploaded by
dutchlop.

Spring time in Holland means flowers blooming everywhere! This hyacinth is in my kitchen, and it enjoys the early morning light. I just think they are pretty. :-)

Last night, M had some dinner with all the geography PhD people ...which left me all by myself, b/c he stated ever so bluntly that I was not invited (that is the Dutch way, right?). oookkkk then, that's nice. so you get to go out and spend 35 euros on dinner, and I stay home by myself and eat leftovers...especially when I am alone by myself all day as it is. I don't want to invite myself and of course I'm not a PhD student so of course I know it is not appropriate for me to go...but why do I still feel alone? Now I wouldn't see him until after midnight..so basically not at all. I know, in a normal relationship, this happens all the time. People have separate lives. I'm not used to that yet, b/c every time we are together, and there's some group get together like a happy hour in DC, I always invited him and he would meet us there after work. But I don't have a normal life here yet, and I realized, once again, that I am extremely dependent upon him, just to be there. Really I see that of course I should not go...but since I sit at home alone til 5pm as it is, it wasn't nice to think about sitting home til 12am alone, while he is out having a nice time with colleagues. I just have to get used to that until I can find my own 'group' of people/friends to hang out with.

Luckily for me, my only friend here, V, her Dutchie was also not going to be home that evening as well, he had a class in Den Haag and wouldn't be home til late. So we got together and had a glass of wine and some tea and talked and I got to see her new home which is really nice. It is on the 5th or 6th floor of this apt building, and it has a view to the Dom tower even. Very nice! I got home around 12 or so...M wasn't home til about 1230 almost. But its nice to hear encouraging words from V, as she has gone through the same sort of thing (although she was in school first and never had this much 'down time', as she had her work permit while in school, so after she was done, she could automatically start working). She speaks fluent Dutch, even though Spanish is her native language...and I can't help but be in a bit of awe. But she has a 'girl club' that I can join up with too...so at least once in awhile I can hang out with some girls..I'm sure there's plenty of girlie movies that M will refuse to see with me! And a girl needs other girlfriends in her life...to complain about the boys!

No comments: