Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Where is the equality!?

Well, hopefully this week will bring some variety to my emailing/grocery shopping/cleaning/bunny talking days...since I cannot legally work, I thought that well, I have time to volunteer now, for once. I looked at Utrecht's website for vrijwilligerwerk (literally free-will-work)...and everything on there, I had to be able to speak Dutch. I didn't look through all of them, since there were hundreds, but the postings I did look at, all Dutch. Its like they don't even want me to help them for FREE! Tough life here. So then offer me a Dutch class for under 800euros so I can afford to learn the language!

But there was one ad that caught my attention. Strowis, the only youth hostel in Utrecht that I know of, is looking for volunteers to do cleaning/guest services/reception, that kind of thing. I think that would be so neat...I could meet some new people, I could work on using Dutch, and I wouldn't be spending my time in this apt all day long. I don't mind cleaning...I do it anyways here. Plus this place has a very relaxed atmosphere. This building was once a squatter place, and in order to avoid eviction by the city, they decided to make it into a youth hostel; they've been open for about 10 years now. The building is over 400 years old.
http://www.strowis.nl/GB-html/hostel-utrecht-general.html

Even better, I stayed here myself 2 different times back in 2002....I started my history in Utrecht at this place!
This is where my sister and I discovered the band "Headmix", but they are no longer together unfortunately. When I arrived yesterday, Manu Chao was playing. I had a chat with the owner, he told me about the place, what he was looking for, I told him a bit about myself...there are 3 different shifts in a day, and he expects volunteers to do at least 6 shifts within a 4 week period, or something like that. I'm still interested, but I think my short time looking to volunteer (5-6 months) is a bit of a turnoff, because it would take me at least half that time to understand their whole booking system, etc. He is also a bit concerned b/c I don't speak Dutch, and that I wouldn't be able to help answer the phones, etc. But that most people speak English anyways, so I could get by on helping with breakfast and cleaning, etc. But he is going to talk to his colleagues and get back to me..not sure when.

I also 'joined' M's bball team at the Olympus (university sports center)...they play every Monday night. It's a co-ed team, but from what I've seen last week, and in the years past that I've watched them play (I also was on my own team with some peeps back in 2002 in the same league)...that the overall majority of the girls on these teams (2 or 3 at most)...are really not good at all (unless you're watching the top league)....Basketball is not as popular here ...and kids don't join rec leagues when they're younger like they do in the US. Courtball seems to be more popular...while sort of similar...the shooting style , and well...its not the same. The same for the boys...they just play this sort of street ball, and its hard to get people here to work as a team or play with any sort of offense! The guys on this team are decent, they're all tall of course so they can rebound and can shoot from the post, etc...but there's no offensive play. We won actually yesterday, which was good. And I had fun. I can tell I have not been jogging for 2 months. But I have not played in an organized league/bball game in probably almost 4 years (so sad!!)..but I was still pretty ok, I was 2 for 6, and 1 of the 6 was blocked. All that high school bball was worth something...I think they were impressed..b/c they usually deal with girls who don't add anything. But its partly their fault..certain boys just don't pass to girls...even if they are open. They just don't. I experienced this yesterday. This is the case so much so, that the league changed the rules, and that any shot a girl makes, its 3 points, not 2. That will help encourage passing to girls....that is such BS, but if it really truly helps influence some guys to pass off to a girl, so be it. Quite sad. Where is the equality!
In any case, my fiance is the captain of the team, so I think I'll be able to play every week! ;-)

1 comment:

mattyschell said...

What's the name of the bball team?