Tuesday, August 14, 2007

In integration news this week...

Yesterday I took my placement test for the dutch language classes. It was five parts. First a general one, to see my initial understanding...the 2nd one was nothing to do with language. It was a sort of patterns test, both with numbers and letters, then shapes and putting things into like categories. It was like I was in elementary school again! It was fun...and I finished in like 5 minutes (first out of the 4 others). Then I had a speaking test, where a cassette tape spoke the situation and then asks 'what would you say?', and I have to say what I would do/ask in that situation..and a 2nd cassette recorder recorded my voice. Since I placed higher from the first test, they gave me the more advanced speaking test. So that was too much for me, and i really didn't know what to say. Sometimes, I didn't say anything and the time I had to answer it was totally silent. Then I asked to take the next lower level test, in reading and listening. I know it doesn't matter how I do, since this just places me somewhere. But I think that is sort of hard to do in a way, when over half the questions are multiple choice. One thing I did learn in the US education system was how to answer multiple choice question by process of elimination and deducting answers. I might not know the word for word question, but I can generally guess well. Maybe this shows I'm intelligent, but doesn't show a lot of my fluency in Dutch...by guessing answers.

Today I went to go pick up the actual ID card, the residence permit. The most expensive ID card money can buy. I went at 930 just to make sure I had a bit of extra time before I had to go to the hostel by 11. Luckily only one person was ahead of me, he walked in when I did. His went smoothly. I just had a feeling that something would go wrong...how could I be this close to getting the card...the IND wouldn't just hand it over to me without a fight would it?

Sure enough, the woman said that in the computer system it said I had two cards, the old one and this new one. The 'old one' being from 2002 when I was a student....the card I never received because I left Holland before I was able to get it even. So there was no way I could have the old one. And who in their right mind holds on to such a card for over 5 years anyways when its not needed for life in the US?

I told her I never got this card. The IND should know that, because I would have to sign for it, and I never signed for it. She said I had to go to the police station and get a letter from someone there stating that I do not have an old card. Then bring it back to her and she can give me the new one. Even thought it is sitting right there in front of her. I'm not used to putting up a fight/argument with city workers here because I feel I will never win, they hardly bend on their rules. But I said that was ridiculous...why should I do that when I never got a card to begin with. Plus i was sent this letter to say I could pick up my card today, so that is what i'm here to do.

I didn't have time to go to the police. I could picture it already- I go there, no one knows what the F i'm talking about, or what desk I should go to or who to talk to. I would get no where. Just waiting more time, when she could just give me the dang card.

Luckily she was nice and decided to just give it to me. So I signed a paper and got the card. Now I am truly certified to work in the Netherlands, and able to be insured under M's plan.

When I left, there were 5 people behind me waiting. Just think- I can go through this all over again in 6 months. My card is only valid for one year...from the date of application! I have to get a new card, pay more money, and wait again (not as long and not as much money)...on my March 2nd application date. I will have to take a picture to show how this expensive card looks and post it on here!

No comments: