Monday, August 20, 2007

vacation is over! i got a job!

Well, a lot has happened in my life this past week. I was too busy to write about it until now! Last week Tues I got my residence permit/work permit. This is in the form of an ID card. I have been spending the last 6 months looking at the jobs available for english speakers in the netherlands. here are some job agencies that specialize in 'multilinguals', those people who don't speak dutch as a native language. On Tuesday I sent my CV in to a work agency in amsterdam, for a job in at company called TomTom. TomTom makes navigational products for automobiles/bikes. they are a dutch company and their HQ are in amsterdam. they operate in english because they are so international. they are the leader in navigational products in europe. they have a new software program that allows its users (potentially the 10 million customers they already have) to update the maps and make changes, if the maps tomtom has are not current/correct. the job i applied to would be to then check this material that is sent in to tomtom if it is valid or not. I applied on Tues, was called on Wed, had an interview on Thursday morning, and was offered the job at the end of the interview! I was so surprised at how fast this all went. It may be only a production job at this point, but it could develop to more. But at least this is a job where I can earn some money, and work in an international company that is doing very well and is the leader in the market for this product...and i can work at a job that is in my field of geography. unbelievable how fast it all went--i was only on the job market for 2 days really! i was quite discouraged the week before, that it would take some time to get a job, but amazingly this one appeared. good timing and luck. i am sure there are opportunities to move around or move up in the company...we shall see how it goes!

So I was offered a 1 yr contract directly from the company itself, not the job agency. I will start on Sept 3rd. Its about an hour to commute, one way, which i will do by either bike/bus, train, and metro. About the same amt of time as it was to commute for me in DC the last 2 yrs.

So, just as I was really getting used to being a 'house wife' and doing the shopping and errands...now i will have to re-adjust my body clock and frame of mind, as adjusting to a full time job will be a bit tiring at first!

And as I look back on the previous 6 months, I can't believe how fast the time has gone. what have i done with the time? i wish i would have read more books and maybe gone for more bike rides...but that just didn't happen. Maybe now that I will sit in the train for 20 min/day, i will be able to read some. I guess the more time you have available, the less you get done b/c you can always say 'ohh i'll do that later'...now that time has come to an end. at least we will have some money now for our wedding and to pay for travel and to pay off our school loans.

so i gotta spend the next 2 wks enjoying myself and my final days of 'freedom'! summer vacation is over!

No comments: