Saturday, August 11, 2007

News in the hostel world...

Well, its been an interesting week at the hostel for me. first, adjusting to being back at 'work' after 2 weeks off...i did a lot of cleaning on Tuesday, which was fine with me, just that i get really sweaty! :-( Thursday I did my first shift of doing the reception desk alone. That means dealing with letting people in, checking people in, answering the phone, and managing the 'bar' area. And both days the place was fully booked, so I was really busy on Thursday ...all by myself. The phone always seems to ring when there's 2 separate groups of people I need to check in! But I think it went well overall, considering it could have been much worse!

But some out of the ordinary things this week- Tuesday I had some pictures taken of me doing things like mopping/cleaning the mirrors/making coffee/folding laundry, because a dutch website on the general aspects of being a volunteer needed more pics for their website. they hired a free lance photographer to take these pics, and he happened to be a house-mate of one of the guys working at the hostel (the photographer is also a board member). so that was interesting. I'm sure i just look super with my hair pulled back and my face shiny after sweating so profusely!!

Also, some good finds on Thursday when I cleaned for about an hour. Some people left behind some magazines--so I have 3 English language magazines to read. I also found a bag of weed! I offered to my co-worker, but she said she doesn't smoke, and that I should keep it. Well, considering I don't even know how to roll a cigarette...I'll just hold on to it til we find someone who does smoke it. For now its just sitting here...and it will probably just sit here for awhile. Its a nice centerpiece.

No comments: