Sunday, September 2, 2007

Last day, on to the next

Thursday was my last day working at Strowis (the youth hostel). It was the busiest day of the entire year. How fitting that it was my last day. A large group of about 20 youth left on that day, as well as a large percentage of the other guests. Which means that a lot of the beds needed to be changed and the rooms be totally cleaned after the mess left behind from a group that stayed there a long time. Usually the rooms are cleaned and done before 3pm. Today the first floor wasn't even started til 330 when I got there. Usually I would stay for my 4 hour shift, but often on Thursdays I stay a bit longer and sometimes have dinner there. I was there til almost 930pm..it was busy the entire time. It was a bit strange to think that was my last time there to work. But I enjoyed working there for the last 5 months. I wish I would have been able to have a bit more contact with the guests, like talking more to them...but it also depends on the guest themselves....some individuals are more likely to talk since they are traveling alone. Those that are more comfortable with English also talk more. The Italians and Spanish that filled the hostel in august purely to smoke weed, obviously did not talk much...due to their poor English... and being stoned. I worked with some interesting people, I learned how to make cappuccino, and I helped the continued success of a tourism business in Utrecht. I also spent my time with other people for several hours a week, instead of being alone in my apartment the whole time.

Friday night I went back already, but this time for a party- it was the 9th anniversary of the opening of Strowis. They had drinks and snacks, and a lot of the people involved in getting the place up and running returned for a good time. The party was held in the common area on the first floor, so guests were also there taking part too.

I plan on going back to stop in and visit and drink a tea every now and then. Strowis is a part of my Utrecht experience. I started my time here in Utrecht 5 years ago there...its still part of me.

Tomorrow I begin my first paying job in the Netherlands..and the first paying job in over 6 months. I'm sure it will be an exhausting week getting back to a routine.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Good luck at your new job!