Sunday, September 9, 2007

Working woman

Well, it has been a very busy week, thus no time for updates. I started my new job last Monday. The job is ok, but it is only production. I spend the entire day staring at the computer, researching if changes people submitted are valid (blocked roads, directions of the street, name changes, or points of interest like gas stations/stores/doctors/pubs, etc). This involves constant use of Google maps, Google Earth, Mapquest, Yahoo maps, and internet searches for a pub or a street name or for construction updates....its a long day doing only that. I look only at the UK submissions. Other people do other countries. It is a bit of a challenge trying to look on Google Earth to decipher which way the road is going, since they drive on the opposite side of the road as almost everyone else in this world! If the satellite images are good enough, you can make out the cars and sometimes there are arrows painted on the road and yield signs, so you can see which way they are going. I think i have a fairly good background in photo/air interpretation...and just using common sense and my geographical mentality, I can figure things out a bit better than the others perhaps...or they just have to learn how to do it, and then they'll be fine too. I just takes practice. Also, my previous job experience dealing with naming and classifying road systems helps me too to some respect. But really, this job is not geography- specific. you don't need a college degree for this work. and i think that most of the other 'worker bees' don't have a college degree. So it is a bit mind numbing...i wonder how long i can handle it! but, its money, i'm not at home alone, and its something for my resume, even if it is a step backwards, its not an empty hole. Hopefully, if i can learn dutch this year, in some time I can apply for other jobs where i can think and use my brain and use GIS as a tool. Not just 'factory work' in front of a computer.

Its kind of a weird place- i have a table as a desk. there are no drawers or anything, so i have no where to put anything. its all open, no cubicles, so there's no privacy. i don't have a phone yet. i also don't have any connection to a printer, and no one will help find one, or even show us where the printer is. the girl next to me is new too, she's from Israel originally, but has been living in Europe for 7 years now. she thinks its odd too. i think the issue is that the company is just expanding so quickly (a good thing- huge growth!), they can't keep up with the office changes. to me, with my experience of endless cubes but in precise pods of 6 cubes each at the Census...this is kinda chaotic. Since its all open, there are people who sit behind me , and i don't even know who they are. they were never introduced to me...and they don't introduce themselves. perhaps i should do so this week-- but is that too bold or overly 'friendly American'? there are also a group of 4 who sit between me and the window...there apparently are not any conference rooms available because they stand there the entire day, every day and talk - loudly-- about something that sounds so important and urgent but i can never quite follow what they are doing, even though they are speaking in english. who knows, but its very urgent by the seriousness in their voices.

On Tuesday, we had a little section meeting, but since no conference rooms were available, they booked a small conference room in the NH hotel next door to our building. That was kinda funny to me.

Commuting is an interesting thing too. I have to bike about 15 minutes to the station and lock my bike in a mad-cluster of hundreds of bikes. I am lucky if i even find an open spot to jam my bike in at a bike rack at 745am.


The train to Amsterdam leaves every 15 minutes: at 55, 10,25, and 40 after the hour. Once on the train, it is 20 minutes to Amsterdam Amstel station, the one before central. From there I take the metro about 5 minutes to the Waterlooplein exit. This is the stop I got out at back when I lived in Amsterdam in 2003-2004. So I know the area well. Its a big touristy section, since everyday there is a flea market there...for clothes and alternative things. Then I walk about 7 minutes to the Rembrandtplein, where my office is in a corner of the square, nestled in between dance clubs and cafes. Its such a good location, because at lunch time I can have so many possibilities for food (if I had money to do that)...but its so strange looking out a first floor meeting room window, and seeing signs for bars and cafes and advertisements for underwear. But the view from the 6th floor, where I sit, is wonderful. Someday I will have to bring my camera in- the view of the church steeples and old Amsterdam canal houses- wonderful.

Oh, anyways, about commuting...the 755 and 810 trains are so jam packed full of people...usually I have to stand in the doorway area, not in the actual seats. People are not very polite here, instead of standing to the sides of the doors to let people out first and then go in, they all crowd the doors, leaving only enough space for the people inside to come out in a single file. then once they are out, its take your life into your own hands and people rush inside, to find the 2 seats left open. On Tuesday I got there with about 30 seconds to spare, but the three cars I tried to get in, every single entrance was packed, there wasn't even enough space for me to squeeze in. So i had to stand there and watch it drive away with out me. That is the most annoying thing- to watch your train pull away with out you and you have to wait another 15 minutes. And usually I'm quite sweaty already, because of riding my bike there, and sometimes i jog/run to the train b/c i want to make that train. I'm going to try to get the 740 or 725 train because they are less full. it is quite interesting how much a difference 30 minutes earlier makes.

So starting this monday and wednesday i am taking the 'Integration Course', as I am obliged to take by the city of Utrecht. I signed a contract that I would attend, and they pay for all the costs. This is a pretty good deal- except that it meets on the one night in the week when i have basketball practice (wednesday). That is still being debated, on what will happen with that. I was really disappointed when i found out that this evening could not be changed, as playing and participating in a club team with dutch women is about the highest level of integration you can get....instead of sitting in a room with other foreigners learning about the world outside that you should be 'fitting in' to. everyone seems interested in what i will be taught in these classes-- aspects of dutch culture that the city or country finds important, but the average Dutchie might not even know (the words to all 15 verses of their national anthem for example)...or things that really aren't 'that' important. Of course, this will be my outlet for telling the world the important things I learn.

No comments: