Monday, September 10, 2007

Side-lined

Well, to further complicate problems...Saturday I was to play in a pre-season tournament with the women's basketball team I am joining. It was from 9am-2pm. Our first game was around 930 or so. I played for maybe 8 minutes, came out, then subbed back in. But that only lasted a minute...somehow, when I was trying to defend someone under their basket...I either turned too fast or stepped on someone's foot...but my ankle buckled out from under me and I hear it pop as I was on my way down. I sprained it pretty badly. Luckily some girls helped me to the locker room rather quickly and put it under the cold water faucet in the locker room. And I got some ice after awhile too. It was pretty painful. The same thing happened to me about 3 yrs ago when I was playing just a pickup game at the gym at OU..but with my left foot. It was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose with this foot. But why now!!!?? When it finally matters to be playing. This tournament was for the team selections. Obviously I'm on the 2nd team and that's ok..but I was wanting to play on Saturday! And, here I am, calling in sick on my second week of work, I feel like a complete schmuck. Instead of trying to fit in smoothly on the team, I stand out even more by my clumsy body. I practiced with this team 6 times already, played all spring with M's team, played a few times in the park in the summer...nothing happened. Now finally when I have a real team to play with, a job I need to go to...I injury myself. Sometimes I wonder if i wished this upon myself, by hoping it wouldn't happen.

So, instead of a weekend when I actually had plans and several things to go to and do...I had to stay home and sit on my butt all weekend. Saturday was not good- it was painful and I couldn't do anything. i decided not to go to the ER because apparently in Holland, the doctors don't do much of anything. They could take an x-ray, but i know it wasn't broken because it wasn't that sort of excruciating pain and I could still move my toes. Luckily M rented some crutches at a store nearby...and bought a brace so i can sort of stabilize it myself. At the hospital, they would only tape it up at most, and I could do that myself. 3 years ago, with my other foot, they put it in a cast and after a week i had a boot I could walk on it with. Here, they believe in the body healing itself apparently....So here I am, on the couch. Its still pretty swollen, and I don't have much movement, but I can put a little bit of weight on it at least now. I think commuting on the trains here with crutches is going to be a b*tch. I definitely cannot ride my bike yet. I will try to take the bus tomorrow.

So typical....

I feel like a jerk for taking off already--mostly because my boss doesn't know me and my usual work ethic...I don't want to give such a poor impression when I first start.

In any case, I won't be playing basketball for a few weeks probably. Very disappointing.

4 comments:

mattyschell said...

Hey now, you can't blame yourself or your "clumsiness." Ankle sprains happen to everyone in basketball, especially to people who play hard, not clumsily. It's inevitable.

And if a certain other member of the household never sprains his ankle, it's probably because he doesn't have to jump. Must be nice.

purplecrocodile said...

I suppose Matts are always right, right Matt?

Lissa10279 said...

Oh Christy!! I hope you feel better soon!!! Oy... thinking happy thoughts for you!!

Unknown said...

Get better christy!