Tuesday, September 25, 2007

more dutch bureaucracy

The eternal dreary rainy weather here is getting to me lately...actually, I don't think its entirely that. Probably not that at all (ok, maybe 10%).

It's my job. It makes me very unhappy. There are several things as to why it makes me unhappy, but since this blog is public, I don't need to go into detail.

Since I started on Sept 3rd, everything else has sort of jumped into motion as well. The language classes started, and are two days a week for 3 hours. Yesterday I did not get home until 1030. every monday will be like that, gone from 7am-1030pm. Wednesday are even worse, I won't get home until 1130pm or later, because of basketball practice. On the one hand, yes, its good to be busy and involved and investing in myself (learning a language, exercising, and being around people). But on the other hand, I get over stressed easily by my lack of time for myself, to relax. Yes, exercise would help with stress relief, however since my ankle was injured, I can't exercise. And basketball is only once a week for about an hour (and a game on the weekend). My gym membership ended Sept 3rd as well...so no more lifting weights for me (my arms were getting muscular!)

I know that I am not the only one like this, and this is just a matter of adjusting to a new schedule. I need to find a balance. If I had a job I enjoyed going to, I'm sure my days would be more easy going though.

To make matters more interesting, M's PhD work is coming along...however the HR at the university seems to think that his contract ends THIS december of 2007, not 08, as was planned and verbally agreed to.... so he might not even get his PhD after all this work!!

His original contract 3 yrs ago states that after 1 year, after an evaluation meeting, it would be decided to keep the 3 yr contract or extend it one year more to make it a 4 yr contract. the original reason for the 3 year back in 2004 was in case he was going to come to the US ...and he could get done with it faster. So after one year, it was verbally agreed upon that it was a 4 yr contract, but apparently no one in charge put it in writing for the HR people. His salary stayed on the tract of a 4 yr contract, so he assumed it was a 4 yr. In the mean time, the new Dean of the school made a rule that no phd contracts could be extended. period. so now, when M is trying to figure out where the problem is and simply just stay on for another year to finish it as was the plan the whole time, everyone seems to be on his side and say this is ridiculous...except for the Dean and the HR people under him. So, technically, as of now, his contract ends on Dec 1st, 2007. That means he will not have a job, and most importantly, not have a PhD after all of his hard work. How can they just be so inflexible and uncaring!? This isn't just a job, its a doctorate degree. In discussions with advisors of the geography department, they gave him their word that they would work something out, but what that is, they are not sure yet. there are a few options, including having him enroll in a different university to finish his work. so, he may get his degree from a different institution.

And not only does it affect his education, his job/career, but also my legal status here. He had papers signed and given to the IND that stated he had a more than a one year contract. The university signed papers that he had a contract til 2008; now they state that those papers hold no legal power (say what?). So They seemed to know and believe that the contract was 4 years...until now suddenly. Also, similar papers needed to be signed in order for us to get the apartment we have, also stated til 2008. But apparently HR doesn't really pay attention very well and signs documents that are legal until a time comes when they contradict themselves. So, when my time comes around in Feb to renew my residence permit, hopefully he has a 1 yr contract somewhere---whether a university or a 'regular job'. Or...i don't know what will happen.

Obviously there are people working in the university system that only care about money, when one would think they are an institution that cares about their students' personal development and growth, and expanding social research and understanding in the scientific environment. Plus, they get their name out there. (Oh, yeah, they also get money too...24,000 euros for each PhD student that graduates from there....there's an incentive to keep students on!).

does sound confusing? i bet it does! i'm confused too!

More word later today on what may happen. The geography board is meeting today and this will be one of their topics, i'm sure.

No comments: