Friday, December 7, 2007

i'm a zwarte piet!


i'm a zwarte piet!
Originally uploaded by dutchlop.
From American holidays to Dutch holidays we go….Dec 5th is the night that Sint leaves presents outside the front door for all the little Dutch kiddies. It is the night of the 5th that he sails back to Spain with his helpers, the zwarte pieten. Since Wednesday night I was at my dutch class, we just planned on having a short lesson, then we all brought some food to share with the class, and if possible, the food could be something from your home country. I made a pumpkin pie, or in dutch : pompoen taart. They don’t really ‘do’ pies in the Netherlands. The whole idea of a pie crust is not exactly the same as our pie crusts. They have vlaai , which is more like our pastry tarts or something. If they have a crust (like in apple pie), its usually much thicker and bread-ier, not just a thin crust like we have.
Anways, the pie was enjoyed, even though it was a bit burnt, and the top part was wrinkled (perhaps too many eggs?? I don’t know!). They still were adventurous and tried it.
But at 8, unannounced to us, Sint was coming to the school where we were at. We all went to the break area, and he drove in on a blue Honda motorcycle! That was interesting for sure. Guess he couldn’t find his white horse. But then he immediately choose two people as he needed some helpers, some piets. He choose a black guy and then he pointed at me and I thought he said I was to help him get dressed…but he really meant I was the other piet! My first time being a piet. I had to put the clothes on over my jeans and sweater…and had an afro wig and a hat with a feather. The other guy said to me in Dutch ‘I am a REAL black piet!’ How funny! And if this isn’t integration, I don’t know what is.
Sint read some stories, sang a few songs, and then 30 min later he had to go back to Spain. I wish I could have really gone with him. Its warmer there, and rains less. Plus, I could use a vacation!

No comments: