Thursday, February 21, 2008

Earth to Christy, do you copy?

So we all know about this thing called communication. Whether verbal or non-verbal, you convey thoughts and messages to people, via some sort of auditory means or by physical means. Communication is even a field of study in the US; you can get a degree in 'communications'. The thing is, you don't think about communication until you can't [communicate]. Whether this means being far away from friends and family and not being able to talk with them, being in a situation where no one speaks your native language, or in the workplace where the lack of communication affects your ability to do your job. In my almost 1 full year here (already!), all of these things have been one of the great problems for me here, as a hindrance on my feelings of success and satisfaction. How can I have or obtain a certain quality of life if I cannot communicate properly with people? A good quote by George Bernard Shaw that I recently found sums it all up for me: "The problem with communication ... is the illusion that it has been accomplished."

As I search for a new job, one of the number one points for qualification is: excellent communication in a multicultural environment. Sure, I've studied abroad, heck I LIVE abroad now. I am forced to interact in a multicultural environment, so I think I've got that covered. I've worked with many people of different backgrounds in my last 10 plus years of job experience. But I've never had such an experience of non-communication as I've had here. There is a clear divide between two groups, and while I want to think it is cultural, it isn't: I've realized it is a division based on a background of professional and educational experience- you either have it or you don't. I have experienced many times in the last 6 months, how either the lack of communication or over-communication can affect 'team spirit' or team cooperation. This greatly frustrates me. It not only affects my job performance, but also definitely job satisfaction. And of course those not as experienced in working in a professional environment can still want to work to better themselves, to try...but many don't and just settle with what they have. I don't want to settle for this current state of affairs in my 'team' here, and that is the reason I am trying to look elsewhere in search of personal and professional satisfaction. I've been here almost six months, and during this time I've realized that even though several people try to change it for the better, it will just remain the same unless everyone wants to improve (even then it may not!!). But the fact of the situation is that not everyone does.

So in the workplace (even when English is spoken), with the lack of verbal communication, the focus on non-verbal communication also becomes important. What does mindless talking really communicate anyways? What does non-response really communicate? What does emailing a person sitting 2 feet away from you but not even saying good morning to them really mean? What does fleeing a problem really show me? I've been figuring out over the last several months, just because you can speak the language (whatever common language that is between two people), doesn't mean you can always communicate.

No comments: