Thursday, February 28, 2008

the new place to pick up a date


heater at amstel station
Originally uploaded by dutchlop.

I know my photographic skills on my camera phone are rather lacking, especially since i was trying to be not so obvious about taking a picture of a heater...but about a month ago, the railways introduced this heater (the red column in the center) on 2 platforms at the station I get out at in Amsterdam. They run on solar energy and supposedly only operate under 12degrees C. They are trying them out at this station to see if its worth introducing in the rest of the Netherlands. Its based on a project at Gare du Nord in Paris.

I think its a great idea- one is not enough for the hundreds of people there...but as long as the smokers are not illegally out of their designated smoking area and hogging all the warmth, its a great idea!

The DC Metro could definitely invest in these too!! But I suppose they would be defaced and broken within a week's time.

I can see this as the new place to pick up a date. Used to be the bar or a club...but why not standing around the heater at the train station waiting for a train? How romantic, huddling together around the sphere of heat. heheh..soo...where are you off to on the train?....can i have your number?


http://www.expatica.com/nl/articles/news/New-heating-facilities-at-Amsterdam-Amstel.html

No comments: