Friday, February 29, 2008

tram ongeluk


tram ongeluk
Originally uploaded by dutchlop.
This is why I would never want to drive a car in Amsterdam. I was walking to the metro after work and as I was crossing this street parallel to the tram line..I saw this truck coming towards me, but I kept walking because I noticed it had its turn signal on for the other way. Two seconds later, I hear a big crunching sound...apparently the tow truck didn't see the tram, or the tram driver just felt she had the right of way despite the truck being in her path. That is quite popular here by dutchies---they make it so obvious that they're trying to prove a point or to point out that they are in the right and you are wrong, and they'll go out of their way to do it. Doesn't matter for some people, I guess, if that includes going so far as to cause damage to property! Or life even... This same day, when I got back to Utrecht and was walking towards my bike, I had to cross a bus lane with a walk signal. It turned green for us pedestrians, but a bus kept driving and coming at us. Everyone hesitated, but then just stayed put because they weren't sure if he would drive through or not. But one girl walked across the street in front of the oncoming bus, pointing at the green walk signal, just to prove her point. And the bus kept driving. So what if the bus hit her--it was green and she was gunna walk, gosh darnit! I may lose a leg, but i'm right! hmm..... yeah, I think a bus will beat you in a dual no matter what.

Anyways, that is the first accident I've ever witnessed involving a tram, and thank goodness. It could be a pretty unpleasant sight to see if it involved a person. I'm shocked that more people aren't killed by these things every day! This tram had its side window blown out, and several dents/scrapes. The truck lost its bumper and a few other parts. But, I just had to snap this pic and run off to the metro so I could make my train.

The next day at lunch I walked here too, and almost the same exact thing happened again as I was crossing the street---I must be a distraction to these drivers in my pink jacket or something! But the look on the drivers face and the jump he made in his seats when he realized that there was a tram right next to him--priceless!

2 comments:

snapshotradio said...

"That is quite popular here by dutchies---to prove a point or to point out that they are in the right."

a ha! this explains so much about me. now i can just tell j. that this character flaw is actually just an inherited trait!

also... there will probably be a DOT report about you and your pink jacket causing traffic accidents coming my way soon. ;) <--i'm a dork.

Christy said...

hehehe....i would love to see that DOT report!
and i don't know if J would accept that as a decent excuse! ha! but you could try!