Monday, February 18, 2008

Winter sunset


Winter sunset
Originally uploaded by dutchlop.
I was looking thru my old pics on flickr, and i realized that one year ago today, was my 2nd leg of my drive back home to WI. I can't believe I left DC a whole year ago. That part of my life is further away by the day now. While it was an exciting time, as i was moving to the unknown...it was also a sad time when i had to say goodbye to some dear people who became my good friends over those two years there. They helped me through some tough times, but I also shared many good times with them too. I miss them a lot. And I also had to say goodbye to those experiences I had there, and to basically: my youth. I was moving from the single life to the 'samenleven', the life of living together. of never being alone without my loved one. It has been nice, this past year, to finally be with M, to have our life together. But it has been also difficult, as I have had to adjust to a new life and new ways of doing things, not only just adjusting to living together. And I haven't had the privilege of having close friends nearby as a support group. In that sense, it has been hard and sometimes lonely time, even though I don't consider myself 'needy'. But as the 1 year anniversary of my move to the Netherlands is approaching soon, I can see how much I've experienced, how much I've learned, and while not necessarily the track I would have thought for myself even 7 years ago, it is the track I'm on. The hard things that come my way, whether my struggle with the language and culture, the job situation, and my own internal struggles, it has been an interesting year and worth it to move here to be with M. Tomorrow is our 6th anniversary. Time seems to go faster every year.

This picture was taken somewhere in western Ohio last year, as I was driving west towards WI. It was a nice drive thru the rural US, and while I was sad that I had just left some good friends and good times behind me, the drive gave me lots of time to reflect on the past and what i was leaving that for and what I was about to do.

I really enjoy driving, and I miss being able to do that. That is my alone time, my thinking time, to sit back and watch the world go by.

No comments: