Sunday, May 13, 2007

Passive aggressive junkies

On Sunday afternoon we on a bike ride along the polders (after the plants), which should have been relaxing, but started out anything but. We had to ride for a little bit along the canal where the 'whore-boats' are..and it just boggles my mind that even at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon, the road there is packed with cars driving by slowly (this isn't a thru-road, the only reason to be on this side street is to be looking at the girls in the windows). I even saw a guy with wooden clogs on walking from his parked car to a houseboat. Then, we could hear this idiot on a scooter behind us just constantly honking his horn. I just roll my eyes at idiots....and usually its just some dumb teenager kid and they move on. Well, this guy was not a teenager, but an old junkie who was probably pretty wasted on something. Well, since we were on a bike path that is about 10 or so feet wide, and its divided in half for each direction of bike traffic. We were riding side by side and 2 people were coming towards us, also side by side. Well this idiot on the scooter didn't wait behind us and then pass us after the oncoming traffic passed....he instead went right in the middle of the 4 of us bikes at the exact time we were 4 across. I thought he had just hit one of the bikers on the other side. But instead of zooming off after the problem he had caused, he stopped and turned around and started yelling at the other guy, who had the right of way. Turns out the junkie guy SPIT in his face even, not just hit him. But the other guy just stopped and turned around to look back at him, he didn't even yell at him, like 'what the hell is your problem?' But of course M decided to catch up to him and ask him why he spit in his face. Well I was a bit ahead of this and didn't hear what this idiot was saying, I just thought he was talking back to him. Apparently he was threatening to hurt ME now. He told M that he had a knife. So with that M left him and rode up to me and said 'just keep going... but don't follow him'. I learned in Scotland to "Never trust a Campbell", but I guess now days it should be "never trust a junkie". Of course me, maybe because I didn't actually hear him threaten me, and maybe because I think its much safer here than in the gun-toting US urban culture that I have been accustomed to in the last 2 years, and because I never saw him hold out a knife....I thought it was kind of a funny threat. I wasn't even in the confrontation, and M was confronting him, yet the junkie was like, oh I'll go after your girl. Maybe I'm still too naive (there would have been several witnesses because like I said, there were many cars driving by looking at the ladies)...I really can't take a threat from a fried, wasted junkie when he can't even produce a weapon. This is the 2nd time that a junkie has made a threat towards me when I haven't even been involved in talking to him, but a threat to M directed towards me (the other one was actually about May 2004). But, junkies are totally messed up and I guess you can't predict what they'll do next. They probably don't even know what they'll do next! I'm surprised he even had a scooter...I don't seen many junkies on scooters, as all their money goes towards drugs.

Ah, in any case, he drove off and we just continued on with our ride through the polders, in the calm, quiet, and peaceful countryside of Holland.

No comments: