Thursday, May 24, 2007

Step 1 of official integration: check

Yesterday was one of the days I've been waiting for for over two months...well, at least it was a move in the direction of something I've been waiting for. And no, I'm not talking wedding related or vacation related things (other things I'm waiting for!). Yesterday I had a meeting with someone at the Inburgering (integration) department at the Gemeente (city gov't). I had no idea what was really going to go on at this meeting....I was expecting something fabulous and entertaining, since I went there to make the appointment over two months ago...they could have at least entertained me or something.

But, to my surprise, the man was actually quite nice; 'normal' in my opinion. He seemed interested in helping me as a person instead of me just as another immigrant client they are pushing thru to integrate that they are indifferent to.

So, what exactly is "integration" you may ask? Well that is a good question. I am not sure what the city defines it as exactly...and at what point or level am I "integrated"? I may have a different definition of it than they do...or as the next Dutchie (that is more likely the case!). Is integration purely/mostly language based? That seems to be my impression from the people who always say/tell me that I must "inburger"...for the fact that I inconvenience them by speaking English. I've lived over 2 years of my life in Holland, I know how things work here. I may not know their history 100% or how their housing system or health system works completely...but for every day life and the general mannerisms of Dutchies, I know how that goes.

What the city of Utrecht is doing, is offering Dutch language classes and some 'culture/society' information in the classes as well (such as, how much does a bus ticket cost? or...where gov't departments can I receive money from? --my friend who went thru this program said this is actually what they teach!). There are four levels of classes and proficiency in the Dutch language, and they teach you and then are later tested on listening, reading, writing, speaking, and grammar structure or something. The city pays for me to inburger for one year. And, if necessary, it may be possible to extend that for another 1/2 year. After the four levels are complete, I can take a 'statsexam'...or a test that will certify me that I am 'fluent' in the Dutch language, and is thus recognized throughout the country for schools or jobs for example. The classes are either 4 times a week in either the morning or afternoon or 2 or 3 times in the evening for those who have to work/go to school during the daytime. Since I am planning on being employed soon after getting my work permit, I will opt for the evening classes. And, not to be prejudiced or anything, but that probably betters my chance to be with a bit more educated group of people, since they have jobs.

However, there is a slight catch...well, not catch, but snag. I have to wait until the Immigration Department accepts me and I receive my permanent residence permit, before I can take these classes. It makes sense...the city doesn't want to spend a lot of money on someone who is not permanently legal. So I hope within the next 2 or so months (I'm being positive), I will get the letter from the IND (Immigration), and as soon as I get a letter, I can call the Inburgering office and we will set up an appointment that week where the contracts will be signed (yes, contracts! They state that they will do their best to get me into a class that suits my needs and wants and will pay for it, and I will attend these classes regularly), and a placement test will be taken to find out what level I need to start out at. The reason for the contracts is again -- money. They are investing a lot of money in me and these classes. If I don't go or get any better at Dutch, then their money is not going to good use. And then I owe THEM the money for the classes, which could be over 1000 euros. I hope that I really can get the test and contract done within a week of getting my IND letter, because the sooner all this is put into motion, the better. The next classes start in September. And it will also help me with jobs, and of course, my overall feeling of acceptance and inclusion in society (I hope...but maybe that is a bit too unrealistic so soon?).

This program of integration is obligatory by all new immigrants to the Netherlands for family/partner reunification, regardless of their country of origin. The laws just changed this past January, so we were unsure if it was obligatory for immigrants from western countries, and if it would even be fully paid for as a westerner. Luckily they are smart and realize the positive effects of helping westerners to 'integrate' as well. We may be from western countries, but if am not allowed to work at this time, how will I have money to pay for language classes that will help me to integrate and find a job and be an asset to society and the economy? Who says just because I'm from the USA, that I have money to afford such classes? But the current program they have sounds alright to me...in the fact that they pay for the classes! Offering language classes is definitely better than nothing at all.

Not all cities in the Netherlands have the same types of service and support. Utrecht has an even better program than Amsterdam for example. Amsterdam pays for one year and then they're over with you. Utrecht gives you the opportunity for a possible extension. They also have a new program, a type of internship program, which I think is a really good idea. I can suggest/request a type of job or sector that I am looking for a job in. They will try their best to find a business or office that will take me in as a (unpaid) intern. This way, I can practice my Dutch in the work environment, and learn the words/terms in that field. Also it can help get me contacts in the field I'm looking for a job in. I think I may try this, once I get better in speaking.

So this whole program, while aiming to integrate thousands of immigrants into the Dutch culture, from what they say, sounds like a more individual type format/approach. I have a contact person with the city, if the classes are too fast or too slow, they will help re-place me. They won't just place me in a group with people who are not at my same level, as that won't be any benefit to me at all. This is my current situation with this neighborhood organization that offers a class once a week on Wednesdays. I've gone I think 4 times, and it is not good at all- rather disorganized and loose, and way below my level. Plus the other ladies (like 4) in the class are much older than me, but I think not quite at my educational level...they don't seem like completely bright people...its taking them 4 classes of 2 hours to even understand how to conjugate a single present tense verb of "to be" and "to have". Its like pulling teeth-- painful!

I also learned that I can get a Dutch passport in 3 years instead of the normal 5, because my partner has Dutch nationality and I am here for partner reunification. Normal migrants here for work or school or those that came on their own, have to wait 5 years. But according the the US government I would have to give up my US passport. At this point I'm not even considering Dutch nationality. And honestly, I don't know if I'd ever want to get it. Definitely not at this point! 3 years seems a short amount of time to 'become Dutch'...I don't think after 30 years I would even be considered Dutch, even if I was fluent and everything.

The next big thing I'm waiting for now, is the actual letter from the IND...hopefully by July (they have til the end of August) I'll hear something from them. I'll have to have a party for that one.

No comments: