Sunday, May 13, 2007

Integration...by murder?

My life has been pretty full of basketball lately.While it is good I'm keeping busy and getting exercise at the same time, I also don't want to become sick of it so soon! But more the problem now is that I've been busy at night with games and practicing...that I hardly have seen or spent time with M! Monday we both play on the same team. Tuesday he had to work late and was home after 9pm. Wednesday I had practice and got home at 1030 and he was sleeping. Thursday was a free day for once, but Friday I again played in a sort of mixed tourney with some student bball club from Utrecht. Too busy!

Yesterday was also a day related to basketball...but for a different reason. The club I am going to join in the fall, was celebrating their 16th 'birthday'. They were having an all day party, which included some games in the afternoon, and during dinner, we had a game of "murder". I was kinda worried about this all week, as I had to have M's sister translate my part, since he couldn't know who I was or anything about my character. I was really worried that I would not be able to follow along in the game and really embarrass myself...even though this is all for fun. But I don't always have that mindset, as there is usually someone who makes me feel more stressed, and always at least one comment about "inburgering"...aka- integrating. It never fails to be mentioned.

So we sat at a table of 7, 6 of us were players, and there was one 'host' or leader. the first round i was really rather lost and getting upset with myself that I shouldn't even be here. Luckily the leader helped with some of the translating, and one other woman at the table spoke in English for me. But at one point, someone asked, 'shouldn't we all just do it in English?', and of course, there was one person who quickly objected and stated that I should 'inburger'. Well, what do you think I'm trying to do then? By coming to this party, I was trying my best. I could just stay at home and shut myself inside and never come out. I'm sure people who make these comments have never lived in another country or known someone personally who has lived abroad. Then they would be a bit more empathetic towards my situation. I try to be social, but a lot of times it makes me feel even more isolated. Social situations are hard enough for me in my own language! I'm an introverted person, I wonder why I have gone on this path in life to live in another country.

In any case, the game was alright in the end, the dinner was good, and I had some laughs when I knew what was going on. My character, Meta de Vries, was not the murderer, and on the 3rd and last try, I did correctly guess the murderer (mordenaar).

Today we could finally rest and not have any obligations to go to. We planted some flowers in the planter I bought at IKEA last week to put on our balcony...which I want to make all nice for summer. I bought some marigolds (Spaanse margriet) at the flower market yesterday morning. Also a lavender plant for one euro- that is in the hanging planter. The Dutchie bought a mint plant and some thyme, as he's all about the natural herbs. ;-)

Many congrats today-- to Rachel for graduating with her masters in nursing! Yeah! Congrats to Vivi and Maarten on their engagement! And Happy Mother's Day to my mom...so all you others out there, don't forget to give your mom a call! :-)

No comments: