Wednesday, April 11, 2007

First Day on the New "Job"


Today I started my new job...well, temporary at that...and its not a job I'm getting paid for. I went from a permanent full time gov't employee, to a volunteer youth hostel worker! I started today, and it was nice. I do have a lot to learn/get used to, as in any other job. From 11 til 2 I worked...for about an hour I helped change beds/sheets up on the top floor, then I learned the ropes on the reservation book. That seems rather complicated, esp with all the combinations and trying to fill all the beds...from 14 bed dorm rooms to the single/double room. Some triple rooms can also be used as doubles or as singles. And you have to be careful with one of the double-bed rooms...b/c its a full sized bed, and most likely only good friends or couples will want to share it...not two construction worker types! ;-) Much to learn. I watched one guy come in and make a big reservation for a large group for 2 nights in June, and then 3 Italians checked in right when I was leaving. It is a very relaxed place, and I think I will enjoy it, esp once I'm comfortable with everything.
Then I had a late lunch at the bakery...a 'Mexican pizza'....and I was craving ice cream so I went to *ahem* McD's and had a Mc Flurry. Rather unhealthy lunch, but oh well.
Then I bought 10 eggs at the market, and came home. My two little buns were waiting for me.

I will work again for a few hours on Friday.

No comments: