Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Notes on a tragedy

We're all learning more today about the horrific actions of one student at Virginia Tech. I've been very connected to CNN and BBC today. The news has been on tv all day. I don't think I have been this connected to the news, ever. Perhaps it has to do with my distance from the situation, I just want to learn and hear all I can about the latest details. There is no explanation to senseless violence, yet we all want answers. by watching the news all day (literally), I want to to try to make sense of this. Its not healthy for me to sit here by myself all day watching the news, and yet I still do. I can't help but think of what such horror would be like. Sitting in a classroom, oblivious to what is about to happen. Most students just trying to get through the lesson, grasp the concept, and prepare themselves for finals in 3 weeks. In less than 10 seconds, their lives changed forever. Or ended, without a chance. I never once in my life at OU ever thought that such a thing could happen. No one thinks of that. Now we all have something more to fear. Places where we thought were safe, are no longer safe. Anxiety and panic will become more and more prevalent in young and old people alike. And the professors who you may dread seeing...or are just that to you- a professor- suddenly becomes connected to you in an unimaginable way. He not only has shed light on your educational life, but he has just saved your physical life.

the most impressionable thing in this whole ordeal- this could have been me. For 32 people, it unfortunately was them. Their bright lives ahead of them, suddenly cut short for no reason at all. sitting in french, German, or engineering classes.

I feel horrible for this school, for the students and teachers and for the family and friends of those lost.

What is also significant is the global connected-ness of this situation. The worst shooting rampage in US history may have happened in a quaint "safe" town in SW Virginia, but the victims and the shooter himself, all had connections from around the globe, and we still don't even know all 32 victims yet. We have a South Korean, a Peruvian, and Indian, and an Israeli Holocaust survivor. And many of those killed were in international- related classes, hoping to bridge international relations. Some victims even went to this guy's own high school in Centreville.

And since my official Dutch translator is away for the week, I haven't gotten a clear translation on the Dutch reporting and reaction. I am biased towards media that I can read and listen and fully understand (CNN, BBC). CNN International has been using CNN USA coverage for the past 2 days. But I did look on three online Dutch news media sites. Two of the sites just report the news (as they should), but one offers the opportunity to react and leave comments. Perhaps it is a certain section of dutch society that reads that paper, I don't know. And I know I can't fully understand them all, nor perhaps the tone...but I can tell that there is a large questioning and criticism of the US and our culture, specifically our gun culture. But I have a feeling that the majority of the people who left the harsh criticism and apathetic attitude probably have never been to the US or don't know any Americans personally. They only read what the want and believe what they want. True we have rather loose gun control laws, which varies by state) compared to many other countries. They seem to think if we have stricter laws, this wouldn't happen. But if you have sick people who pre-think this out, these tragedies will happen anyways, with a gun or a different weapon. This isn't just US specific, other countries have had their own, similar tragedies in their own history. Even just today, the mayor of Nagasaki was gunned down by gangsters...Japan has very tough gun control laws and it still happens there. No one in this world is immune to it. But the Dutch seem to point more fingers and scold than sympathize. Its a very "I told you so" attitude. Its a very Dutch reaction in my opinion. Rather stoic and apathetic. Its too bad.

There was even one responder who made a comment on how fake the American people are, which has nothing to do with this situation. it just further proves to me, my prejudices on how catty some dutch people are. they criticise us for being so fake, but there are millions of Americans in such a huge country- all very different. I'm sure he doesn't know any Americans personally. of course i could write that i think all dutch people are rude and catty and emotionless. but of course i know not all dutch people are like that, as there are 16 million different people here, and i can't know them all! But I'm sure all the normal dutch citizens with a heart are very saddened by this event.

Turns out all the criticism against the Americans is not even worth it - the perpetrator was not even an American citizen. Yes gun laws need to be changed, but in our country, i don't see it happening. so we need o move on from there. what needs to be looked at as well is the mental health of our residents and citizens. and getting them the help that they need.

Suddenly its almost 11pm and I'm still in my living room. The sun and risen and set; i don't know where the time went. i didn't leave the apt at all today except for a 1 hr bike ride at 530pm.

No comments: